Faculty of Civil Engineering
Field of Interest:
Urban informality and sustainable practice, informality and urban planning, inner city urban blight and renewal, disaster management for inner city, disaster management and urban open space, architectural pedagogy.
Architectural design, history of architecture in South Asian region, urban design, research methodology.
- Doktor der Ingenieurwissenschaften (Doctor of Engineering) within Dresden Leibniz Graduate School (DLGS) at Leibniz Institute of Ecological and Regional Development (IOER) and Technische Universität Dresden (TU Dresden).
- Masters of Science in Urban Management and Development (UMD) with specialization in Urban Environment and Infrastructure Management from the Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS) at Erasmus Universiteit, Rotterdam, The Netherlands in 2008.
- Bachelor of Architecture from Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET) in 2006.
- Associate Professor Department of Architecture, MIST, from July 2019 to date.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, MIST, from January 2015 to June 2019.
- Architect, InGrid Architects, Dhaka, Bangladesh, from January 2014 to December 2014.
- Doctoral researcher in the Dresden Leibniz Graduate School (DLGS) at Leibniz Institute of Ecological and Regional Development (IOER) in Dresden, Germany from January 2010 to March 2013.
- Lecturer, Department of Architecture, Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST) from October 2006 to December 2009.
- Architect, Oriental Architects, Dhaka, Bangladesh, from January 2006 to August 2007.
Other Academic Involvements:
- Organizing Secretary, Architecture Week 2016, Architecture Fest 2017 and Architecture Festival 2018 in MIST.
- Organizing Secretary, seminar titled ‘Building Material: Innovation and Influence on Architecture’, 2018 in MIST.
- Convener, seminar titled ‘Environmental Responsibility of Architects and Local Practice’, 2017 in MIST.
- Organizing Secretary, seminar titled ‘Earthquake Resilient Buildings: Design Considerations for Architects’, 2016 in MIST.
- Organizer, Lecture Series for the Department of Architecture, in MIST.
- Organizer and Coordinator, Technical Workshop Series for the Department of Architecture, in MIST.
- Member, Advisory Committee for the Department of Architecture, in MIST.
- Member, Industrial Advisory Committee, Department of Architecture, in MIST.
- Member, Committee for Reviewing the Aptitude Test for the Department of Architecture, 2018, in MIST.
- Member, Committee of Courses, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2019 in MIST.
- Member Secretary, Seminar and Workshop Organizing Committee, in AUST.
- BISWAS, S. & SAHA, D. (2019) Open Space for Disaster Preparedness and the Bangladesh Perspective. Disaster Advances, Vol 12, Issue 4, pp. 48-58.
- SAHA, D. & BISWAS, S. (2019) Dhaka in the Perspective of Urban Development Paradigm. International Journal of Architecture, Engineering and Construction. Vol 8, Issue 1, pp. 19-34. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7492/IJAEC.2019.003. Available at: http://www.iasdm.org/journals/index.php/ijaec/article/viewFile/536/331.pdf
- MOWLA, Q. A. & BISWAS, S. (2009) Concepts of Sustainable Development: An Analytical Review. Journal of Administrative Studies, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Vol 02, June 2009, pp 5-16.
- BISWAS, S. (2010) Industrial Waste Management in The Informal Industries of Dhaka, ICBEN 2010: International Conference on Bangladesh Environment, Bangladesh Poribesh Andolon (BAPA) and Bangladesh Environment Network (BEN), Dhaka, January 3-4, pp775-785.
- TAUFIQUE, K. Z. H., SAHA, D & BISWAS, S. (2009) In Search for a new urban design research methodology suitable for Dhaka, a peripheral megacity, Conference on Urban Design Research: Method and Application, School of Architecture, Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham City University, Birmingham, UK, December 3-4, pp 73-89.
- BISWAS, S. & SAHA, D. (2009) Life Cycle Assessment for Sustainable Development, ICETESE 2009: International Conference on Emerging Technologies in Environmental Science and Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, A.M.U. Aligarh, India, October 26-28.
- BISWAS, S. (2009) Sustainable development: Unexplored practices in Developing Countries, EESD 2009: International Conference on Energy, Environment, Sustainable Development, World Academy of Science and Technology, Paris. June 24-26, pp 172-184.
Selected Scholastic Awards:
- Abschlussfinanzierung im Rahmen des Stipendienprogramms zur Förderung von Nachwuchswissenschaftlerinnen funding program for women, Technische Universität Dresden, 2015.
- Dresden Leibniz Graduate School (DLGS) Fellowship, 2010-2013, for Doctoral Research in the DLGS, Dresden, Germany.
- Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP) scholarship, 2007-2008, for conducting Master Course held in IHS-Erasmus University, Rotterdam.
Selected Seminar, Conference and Workshop organization
- Organized and coordinated workshop titled Introduction to the morphogenetic architecture: Rhino Modeling Essentials and introduction to Grasshopper in Department of Architecture, MIST, September 1-4, 2019.
- Organized and coordinated workshop titled Energy and Environmental Behavior of Buildings in Department of Architecture, MIST, March 15-16, 2019.
- Participated as Designated Speaker in Vision D3: Dialogue Discourse Directive, Session 3: Architecture & Heritage organized by Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB), October 11, 2018.
- Reviewer, 2nd International Conference on Green Architecture (ICGrA 2018) organized by the Department of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET).
- Participated in the workshop titled, Workshop on Preparation for Outcome Based Accreditation, organized by Institute of Engineers (IEB), December 12, 2017.
- Participated in the 13th GrACe Technical Workshop on Sustainable Teaching: Planing and designing Sustainability in Architectural Teaching and learning Outcome, organized by the Green Architecture Cell (GrACe), Department of Architecture, BUET, December 6-7, 2017.
- Rapporteur, translator and organizing support in the Urban Thinkers Campus (UTC), Dhaka 2017: Innovation, Identity and Designing of Intermediate Cities for The City We Need, jointly organized by International Union of Architects (UIA) –Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB), November 9-11, 2017.
- Participated in the International Conference on Green Architecture (ICGrA) at Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh, August 4-5, 2017.
- Organized Model Making Workshop in Department of Architecture, MIST, February 17-18, 2016.
- Participated in the seminar titled, Resources- benefit or curse?, organized by STUBE SACHSEN, in Freiberg, May 4-6, 2012.
- Conducted and participated in the seminar titled, Jugend und Bildung, organized by STUBE SACHSEN, in Leipzig, April 9-9, 2012.
- Conducted and participated in the seminar titled, Brain drain or brain gain? Abwanderung von Fachkraften-personaliche und gesellchaftliche Folgen, organized by STUBE SACHSEN, in Dresden, December 16-18, 2011.
- Participated in the seminar titled, Chancen und Grenzen der Entwicklungszusammenarbeit, organized by STUBE SACHSEN, in Berlin, October 28-31,2011.
- Participated in the conference titled, Dealing with Change – Demographic Change and Development Strategies, at Permanent Representation of the Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia in Berlin, November 18-19, 2010
- Participated in the 21 European Conference on Modern South Asian Studies, University of Bonn, Germany, July 26-29, 2010.
- Participated in the Workshop for the International Students as IHS alumni at The World Forum, The Hague, The Netherlands, November 7, 2009
- Participated in the Holland Alumni Conference 2009, organized by the Netherlands Organization for International Cooperation in Higher Education (Nuffic), The Hague, The Netherlands, November 5-6, 2009
- Conducted a workshop titled, Referencing with the EndNote at Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST), Dhaka, Bangladesh, August 30, 2009.
- Conducted a seminar titled, Zero Waste Industrial Management in Bangladesh: Dholaikhal Experience and More, organized by Bangladesh Paribesh Andolon (BAPA), Dhaka, Bangladesh, May 22, 2009.
- Conducted a seminar titled, Industrial Symbiosis: The journey from Kalundborg to Dholaikhal and more, at Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology (AUST), Dhaka, Bangladesh, June 30, 2009.
- Conducted a seminar titled, Sustainable Industrial Development: Linking Theories to Practices, at Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET), July 4, 2009.
- Participated in the workshop titled, Workshop for the International Students, at International Centre of Social Science Education and Research (ISS), The Hague, The Netherlands, October 17, 2008,
- Participated in the Workshop on GIS for the International Students at International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), Enscheda, The Netherlands, March 19, 2008