Teaching / Research Interest:
Architectural Design, History, Theory, Heritage and Conservation.
- Masters in Diagnosis and Repair of Buildings with specialization in Conservation of Cultural heritage from University of Seville, Spain & UNIRC, Italy with Erasmus Mundus scholarships.
- Masters in World Heritage from University of Torino, Italy with full scholarships.
- Postgraduate certificate from Lund University, Sweden on Conservation and Management of Historic Building with full fellowship.
- Postgraduate certificate from Lund University, Sweden on Urban Shelter Design with full fellowship.
- Postgraduate certificate from Helsinki University of technology, Finland on Research & Action with full fellowship.
- Postgraduate certificate from Tsukuba University, Japan on “Nature-Culture Linkages in Heritage Conservation in Asia and the Pacific” with full fellowship.
- Bachelor of Architecture from Khulna University, Bangladesh.
- Associate Professor, Department of Architecture, MIST. Since February, 2018.
- Visiting Professor, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic, 8-26th April 2019.
- Head, Centre for Scientific Research and Innovation (CSRI), Southeast University, Bangladesh. July 2015 – January 2018.
- Associate Professor, Department of Architecture, Southeast University. July 2016 – January2018.
- Thesis Supervisor for Masters program, DIA, Germany. Summer semester, 2017.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, Southeast University. September 2011 – June 2016.
- Visiting faculty for Masters program, University of Padua, Italy. December,2012
- Architect, ARCON, 2002-2011
- Lecturer, Department of Architecture, State University of Bangladesh. January 2008 –August 2009.
- As a Researcher, carried out core research work on Architectural history, heritage and conservation with supportive trainings funded by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP); UN- Habitat; The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) and European Union. 2004-2013.
Administrative Services at the University level:
- Member, Institute of Architect (IAB) Accreditation Committee, Architecture Department, MIST. Since February 2018.
- Programme coordinator at Architecture Department, SEU from December 2014 to January2018.
- Member, Self-assessment Committee (SAC), Department of Architecture, SEU, under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP)by Ministry of Education Bangladesh & World Bank. 2016- January 2018.
- Member (Secretary): Center for Scientific Research and Innovation (CSRI), Southeast University, Bangladesh. From June 2014 to March 2015.
- Member (secretary) of the Institute of Architect (IAB) Accreditation Committee, Architecture Department, Southeast University. Already submitted Architecture programme report at IAB. From 2014 to January2018.
- Member (secretary) of the Syllabus Committee of the Architecture Department, Southeast University, Bangladesh from 2014to January 2018. Already updated the Syllabus of Bachelor of Architecture program for Southeast University.
Other Academic Experience:
- Under the EMA Mentoring Program 2017-2018, currently mentoring 3 masters’ students at different European Universities.
- Organizer of 5-day Training Workshop on Disaster Risk Management of cultural Heritage from 9 – 13 May, 2016 at Department of Architecture, BUET in collaboration with ICOMOS –Bangladesh in 2016.
- Key organizer & Instructor of workshop on “Ceramic Dome”at SEU in join collaboration with New Earth, Uk. February 2016.
- Key organizer & Instructor of workshop on “21st Century Eco-village Design”, at SEU in join collaboration with New Earth, Uk. , March 2015.
- Key organizer & tutor of Workshop on “Heritage Conservation & Management” at Department of Architecture, SEU in collaboration with ICOMOS & UNESCO.2015.
- Journal Publications:
i. Integrated Approach for Nature-Culture Linkage at Mahasthan Heritage Site :
-Published at the Journal of World Heritage Studies, Special issue 2019,Disasters and Resilience, ISSN : 2189-4728,Tsukuba University, Japan.
ii. Strategies to Integrate the Mughal Settlements in Old Dhaka:
-published at the “Frontiers of Architectural Research” by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of Higher Education Press Limited Company in 2013. ISSN: 2095-2635.
iii. Planning Conservation for Old Dhaka-A guideline for preventive intervention:
-Published at the “Journal of Research in Architecture & Planning” , Volume -13, second-Issue 2012, ISSN no: 1728-7715.
iv.‘Integrating Conservation with Development through contextual heritage management – A case for Mahasthan.’
– Published at the Journal of Environmental Design and Planning, Volume -9, 2013 , ISSN no: 1905-7210 .
v. Revitalizing the Mughal Settlements in Old Dhaka,
-Published in the Protibesh Journal July2007 issue, Volume -11, Issue-2, and Published by Department of Architecture, BUET. ISSN 1812-8068.
vi. Preventive Maintenance Strategy of Bara Katra,
-Published in the July-2008 issue of Protibesh Journal . Volume -12, Issue-2, Department of Architecture, BUET, ISSN1812-8068 .
2. Books or edited Books:
vii. Managing Urban Services in Bangladesh.
Published in ‘Shelter for the Urban Poor Proposals for improvements inspired by World Urban Forum lll’ –Book edited by Karin Grudstorm & Annette Wong Jere, Published by Lund University, Sweden, ISBN 978-91-87866-29-6 , ISSN 1404-286X , Printed in Sweden by Grahns Tryckeri AB ,Lund ,Sweden ,2007. Page189-203.
viii. Planning and Management for Mahasthan Heritage Site: A comprehensive development plan for a tentatively listed world heritage site.
– Book ,published in November, 2011), ISBN-13: 978-3843315838, Germany.
3.Other Publication ( Conference proceedings, workshop paper etc):
ix. Contributors, A Socio-economic and Anthropological Survey on the Potter Communities in the surrounding villages of Paharpur is published by UNESCO Dhaka office in conjunction with Ministry of cultural affairs, Bangladesh, World heritage centre, ICOMOS-Bangladesh and Republic of Korea. 2019.
x.‘Development Policies for Mahasthan Heritage Site’, published at “Conservation of Architecture, Urban Areas, Nature & Landscape Towards a Sustainable Survival of Cultural Landscape” , Volume I , edited by Andrew Dolkart, Osamah M. Al- Gohari, Samia Rab; published by The Center for the Study of Architecture in the Arab Region, Jordan & Queen Rania Institute of Tourism and Heritage, Hashemite University, Amman,Jordan. ISBN: 978-9957-540-05-0, Printed in Jordan, 2011.
xi.’Planning Conservation for Mahasthan-heritage site’. Published at the conference proceedings –ICOMOS Thailand International Conference 2013 – Asian forgotten heritage, Chiang Mai University, Thailand.
xii. Planning the Heritage Cities- a case for Dhaka. Published in the Society Architects and Emerging Issues, ISBN No-984-300-000-498-9, April 2007, published by Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA) & Institute of Architects of Bangladesh (IAB).
xiii. Living Environment for Dhaka’s Urban Poor-An Analysis (as a co-author: with prof Qazi Azizul Mowla ), Published in the Seminar proceedings (ISBN No :984-300-000347-0), ‘Architecture of the Economically Disadvantaged, March’,2007 –Published by Department of Architecture, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET).
xiv. Traditional Wisdom in Managing the Dhaka Metropolis
(1st author: prof Qazi Azizul Mowla & 2nd author: Mohammad Sazzad Hossain), Presented & abstract published in the conference proceedings, Panel 27,19th European Conference of Modern South Asian Studies, Lei den University, the Netherlands: 27-30 June 2006.
xv. Lalbagh to Chota Katra- A Concept Paper to Develop a Route to Revitalize the Mughal Heritage of Dhaka City
-Presented & abstract published in the conference proceedings, Panel 27,19th European Conference of Modern South Asian Studies, Lei den University, the Netherlands: 27-30 June 2006.
xvi. Conservation and maintenance –A report for Bara katra
Individual report submitted during Post –graduate training course on Conservation and Management of Historic Buildings, Published by HDM, Lund University, Sweden.
i. Research on “Integration of development components through cultural resource management for valorisation of Mahasthan Heritage site” was initially carried out at University of Turin, Italy under the supervision of Dr. Alessio Re with the support from ITC-ILO in 2008-9. Afterwards, it was also carried out at the Department of ‘Historical and Geographic Sciences and Ancient World’, University of Padua, Italy under the supervision of Prof. Giovanni Luigi Fontana with the Funding from European Union in 2012. This research-based article was published in Journal of Environmental Design and Planning.
ii. Research on “Planning Conservation for Old Dhaka” was partly carried out at Helsinki University of Technology, Finland, with the Funding from UNEP and UN-Habitat in 2007.This research-based article was published at the “Journal of Research in Architecture & Planning”.
iii. Research on Managing Urban Services in Bangladesh was partly carried out at Vancouver, Canada, under the supervision of Mr. Johnny Astrand (Director,HDM) and Ms. Annette Wong Jere(Course coordinator ,HDM)with the Funding from SIDA in 2006. This research-based chapter was published at ‘Shelter for the Urban Poor Proposals for improvements inspired by World Urban Forum lll’ –Book edited by Karin Grudstorm & Annette Wong Jere, Published by Lund University, Sweden .
iv. Research on “Conservation and management for Bara katra” was partly carried out at Lund University Sweden and Cambodia, under the supervision of Prof. Kerstin Barup and Prof.Mats Edstrom with the Funding from SIDA in 2005 &2006.This research-based article was published at Protibesh Journal, Dept. of Architecture, BUET.
- As a Project Director of ICOMOS Bangladesh providing consultancy and services to UNESCO Dhaka office for the “UNESCO ROK Fund- in-Trust Project on Local Community Involvement in the Sustainable Development of the Ruins of the Buddhist Vihara at Paharpur World Heritage Site, Bangladesh” since May 2016.
- Provided services to UNESCO Dhaka office & ICOMOS-BD for the project “Heritage education for the youth in Bangladesh”, from November to December 2015.
- Desk-Reviewed the Nomination Dossier of the ‘Historic city of Ahmadabad, India’ for inscription at world Heritage list 2017 in the framework of the ICOMOS Evaluation process. Report was submitted in September, 2016.
- Desk-Reviewed the Nomination Dossier of the “Sambor Prei Kuk Archaeological Site representing the Cultural Landscape of Ancient Ishanapura, Cambodia’” for inscription at world Heritage list 2017 in the framework of the ICOMOS evaluation process. Report was submitted in September, 2016.
- As a freelance Architect, carried out different Architectural projects like single & multiple family houses, commercial buildings, interiors etc.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Received Teachers Award 2017-18, Chandigarh, India in the field of Architectural education.
- Ice Today-Aqua Paint Interior Design award-2007, in Association with Institute of Architects, Bangladesh (IAB) .In Residential Category.
- Participated at “Challenges of teaching Architectural History”, organized by Institute of Architects on 21 July 2018, at IAB center, Dhaka.
- On 17th August 2017, was a guest speaker at a seminar on “Road to Erasmus+ Scholarship” in American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB).
- On 13th June 2017, was a guest speaker at a seminar on “Higher study abroad” in Daffodil International University-Bangladesh.
- On 20 July 2017, was a guest speaker at an event on Erasmus+ reception by EU Delegation to Bangladesh.
- Participated as a delegate (Regional representative) and chaired South Asian session at EMA General Assembly and Annual Conference, Brussels, 25-27 May 2017.
- Participated as a delegate (Regional representative) at EMA General Assembly and Annual Conference, Lugano, Switzerland, 25-27 November 2016.
- Organized the networking event & seminar on “Higher studies in Europe” at Military Institute of Science and Technology, Bangladesh with the grant from Erasmus Mundus Alumni on 24/9/2016.
- Guest Speaker, Urban Thinkers Campus (UTC) on 6-8 November, 2015 at BUET campus, organized by Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET) in association with UN-Habitat as part of World Urban Campaign (WUC).
- Key organizer & moderator of Round table discussion on “Preservation of built Heritage of Old Dhaka” at Department of Architecture, SEU in collaboration with ICOMOS & UNESCO. 21 May, 2015.
- Participated at World Urban Forum 3, Vancouver, Canada, 2006.
- Full Member (H -126), Institute of Architects, Bangladesh.
- Member, Accreditation Standard of the Institute of Architects, Bangladesh (ASIAB) review committee, 2017-18.
- International member, ICOMOS, International Council on Monuments and Sites.
- Member, CIF: International committee on Training, ICOMOS.
- Elected General Secretary (current) of National Committee of Bangladesh- International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS).
- Elected President, South Asian Chapter, EMA (Erasmus Mundus Association )
- Elected Secretary, Heritage and Culture, 23rd E.C, Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB).
- Elected information Coordinator, South Asian Chapter, EMA (Erasmus Mundus Association) .2015-18.
- Elected Country Ambassador (Bangladesh), EMA (Erasmus Mundus Association), 2011-2013.
For the purpose of study & research, visited different places in the following countries: Cambodia ( Phnompenh , Siem reap) ; Singapore; Thailand (Bangkok); India( Delhi, Agra, Mathura, Calcutta).Qatar ( Doha) Canada( Vancouver) Uk (London) ; Sweden( Lund, Stockholm, Malmo) ; Denmark ( Copenhagen, Roskilde) ; Italy ( Venice, Sicily, Milan, Turin, Rome, Naples, Genoa,Padua ) ;Finland ( Helsinki, Espoo, Porvoo);Spain ( Madrid, Toledo, Seville, Granada), Turkey (Istanbul).Switzerland, Belgium Indonesia, Czech Republic and Japan.